More than 80 kgs in weight, A Diabetic with overnight, Or Obese with problems like:
- High Blood Pressure.
- Knee Joint Arthritis.
- Dependant on Anti Diabetic Medicines, Insulin and still not controlled.
- Menstrual Cycle Irregularities.
- Prominent Leg Veins with swelling and Leg Ache.
- Infertility etc.
Then you need to read on…
Q. What is Obesity / Diabesity?
A. It is a condition of excessive weight, mainly in the form of fat, which gets deposited all over the body tissues and Abdominal cavity, and which leads to serious life threatening diseases like High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Heart Diseases, etc. Diabesity is obesity with diabetes.
Q. How is Obesity measured?
A. It is measured by Body Mass Index (B.M.I) as given by the following formula: Weight in Kgs / (Height in Metres) 2. According to new guidelines for Asia,
- BMI<22is normal and healthy.
- BMI 23-25 is overweight.
- BMI 26-29 IS Obese grade I.
- BMI 30-35 IS Obese grade II.
- BMI>35 is Morbidly Obese (III).
Grades I, II and III are more and more likely to cause Diseases.
Q. What are the bad effects of Obesity?
A. Obesity causes a lot of health problems, a few of them are:
- High Blood Pressure
- Diabetes, Ischaemic heart disease
- Sleep Apnoea in which these individuals have spells of obstructed breathing leading to death
- Chronic degenerative arthritis of the knee joints
- Liver cirrhosis and increased susceptibility to infection
- Increased chances of developing cancer of the breast, uterus, colon and prostate.
Q. What is the treatment?
A. Diet, exercise and if all these fail then surgery.
Q. How effective is Surgical Treatment?
A. It reduces weight in 95% of cases, out of which only 5% have wt. regain at 5 years. Nonsurgical treatment, on the other hand has only 20% response rate out of which 80% show regain of wt at 5 years, so the overall success rate is a poor 4%.
Q. Is the surgery painful?
A. It is performed Laparoscopically, causing minimum morbidity, pts are comfortably mobile on the same day and discharged by the third day.
Q. Does this Surgery work in Diabetes hyperlipidaemia cases and high blood pressure?
A. Most certainly. This surgery works and ‘resolves’ diabetes in 80%-95% of diabetes, 70%-80% of high blood pressure pts and 50%-65% of high lipidaemia cases.
Q. Can any diabetic pts be offered this surgery?
A. No. We have to know the pancreatic function, insulin resistance, and a lot of other complex tests to find out who will respond.
Q. What is the downside of this surgery?
A. As the stomach is made small, pt has to make profound changes in not only what, but how he/she eats and drinks. Large boluses of solid or liquid will induce vomiting.
Syrupy food can induce perspiration, abdominal discomfort and bloating sensation.
Some patients develop loose motions which can be controlled by altering diet/medicines.
Many patients may have to take Vitamins, Iron and Calcium for life.
But look at the benefits:
1) Diabetes- Resolved with reversal of many of its effects on the nerves, kidney, retina.
2) High Blood Pressure- Controlled or resolved without medicines or minimal medicines.
3) High Lipids in Blood- Resolved or Controlled with minimum medicines!!!
4) High Blood Pressure- Resolved with minimum medicines.
To know more about Metabolic Surgery, Meet in person.
Click to know more about Laparoscopic Surgery or Laparoscopic Surgeon in Andheri.